Reference samples, produced with the Universal T Cell Assay Standard TERS™ Kit, provide reliable and stable external standards for antigen-specific T-cell assays. A lack of appropriate external standards for this type of assay has been limiting meaningful comparisons of results between different runs, platforms, or laboratories.
The TERS™ (TCR-engineered reference samples) technology creates external assay standards, i.e. cell suspensions with a defined number of T cells bearing the desired TCR. This is achieved by transfecting TCR-encoding RNA into fresh PBMCs using a quick and simple electroporation protocol.
TERS™ can be used in combination with:
- MHC multimer staining
- Intracellular cytokine detection
- ELISpot assays
Do you need custom antigen peptide synthesis?
Why are there Different Specificities?
TERS™ are useful external assay standards even if they do not match the antigen-specificity of the cellular assays alongside which they are used. If the inter-assay signal variation of your TERS sample is in the expected range (i.e. the frequency, or frequencies, if several, to which you have adjusted your TERS +/- an acceptable deviation from that value), you can be sure that your assay has worked in principle.
In the event that your TERS do match the antigen-specificity of the cellular assays alongside which they are used, you can also, simultaneously, ascertain the integrity of the MHC multimer or peptides used for stimulation of your other samples.
- Optimization of the simple, electroporation-based transfection protocol using GFP RNA provided with the kit
- Transfection of PBMCs with the provided TCR mRNA
- Determination of transfection efficiency using MHC multimer staining and flow-cytometry
- Adjusting the desired frequency of TCR-positive T cells by diluting the transfected PBMCs with untouched PBMCs
- Confirming the desired frequency of TCR-bearing cells in the final cell suspension using MHC multimer staining and flow-cytometry
- Freezing down aliquots of this suspension for later use
A detailed protocol for all experimental steps is provided with the kit.
Buy Universal T Cell Assay Standard TERS™ Kits
- Monitoring the performance of T cell assays over time
- Calibration of antigen-specific assays
- Standardization & validation of T-cell assays (ELISpot, ICS, MHC multimer staining) across runs, platforms or laboratories
- Provision of reliable external assay standards for antigen specific tests
- Providing a new level of quality control for this type of assay
- Enabling studies across platforms and laboratories
Read References with TERS